Ellucian Senior Technical Writer in Puebla, Mexico
Senior Technical Writer
# of Openings per Req:
The Ellucian Information Development team is looking for a Senior Technical Writer. The Information Development team plays a vital role in ensuring that Ellucian products are clearly described in documentation that's accurate and useful.
The Senior Technical Writer drives the creation of online documentation in accordance with Ellucian guidelines. The candidate will have full responsibility for documentation suites in one or more product areas, and is expected to work with Subject Matter Experts and customer feedback to continually improve usability and quality of our documentation. The candidate must be able to successfully execute multiple projects from concept to publication under tight deadlines and changing conditions while coordinating input from numerous sources.
The Senior Technical Writer is expected to act as a lead writer, supporting other writers while producing documentation. S/he is expected to think critically and see gaps in products or processes, show initiative and good judgment in proposing solutions, and then support implementation of those solutions across teams. He/she must have demonstrated experience working with Cloud/SaaS technologies, XML/DITA, and Agile.
The successful candidate will:
• Create high-quality technical documentation for Ellucian’s products.
• Work closely with product teams to learn about the product, as well as work with the products hands-on while new features are in development. Writers also work with customers who provide feedback about our documentation and services to improve the documentation.
• Collect data by interviewing SMEs, developers and other technical personnel, researching written material, and attending demonstrations in order to become familiar with product technology and develop methods in order to translate data to easy to understand, user-friendly written documentation
• Review and gather feedback from clients and other stakeholders to create highly usable, robust information to support users
• Review and test software and hardware for accuracy and consistency with documentation, identifying problems and suggesting revisions
• Create graphical images, flow charts, diagrams, and video for inclusion in documentation
• Participate in software design meetings to review design options from an information usability perspective and recommend alternatives based on user knowledge and industry standards for information development
• Research the information needs of software development projects to determine the best approach for developing content
• Plan and develop documentation deliverables for multiple projects, often under tight deadlines and coordinate the work of other contributors
Auto req ID:
Job Posting Location(s):
• Undergraduate degree in Technical Communication or equivalent, with at least 5-7 years of technical writing experience
• Effective written (English language) and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Experience developing documentation and online help for software applications
• Ability to be part of a team and contribute to a team goal
• Must have demonstrated expertise with XML/DITA and structured authoring methodology
• Must demonstrate experience with an XML authoring tool, Oxygen Author or Editor preferred
• Must demonstrate experience with topic-based authoring
• Demonstrated ability to perform project management activities in an agile environment, such as determining and coordinating documentation user stories/tasks in conjunction with development and testing tasks, providing estimates, general communication skills with the team
• Candidates will be required to submit recent examples of documentation they created
• Applicants may also be expected to take skills tests to determine their aptitude
• Experience working in agile development teams
• Working knowledge of minimalism as applied to information development
• Experience working with a component content management system
• Experience working with a cloud-based content delivery system
• Experience working with multiple authoring tools
• Experience with mixed media, such as video
• Experience working with higher education software systems
Ellucian is the world’s leading provider of software, services and insight to higher education. Ellucian helps the higher education community—students, faculty, and staff—achieve their goals more efficiently, effectively, and with reduced risk. Ellucian’s comprehensive suite of software solutions includes student information systems (SIS), finance and HR systems, recruiting and retention systems, among other offerings. With more than 1,500 institutions subscribing to Ellucian’s cloud services and SaaS offerings, the company is one of the largest providers of cloud-based solutions. Ellucian also supports the higher education community with a range of professional services, such as application software implementation, training, education, and management consulting. More than 2,400 institutions in 40 countries rely on Ellucian to help enable the mission of higher education.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at Ellucian without regard to race; creed; color; religion; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic predisposition or carrier status; veteran, marital, or citizenship status; or any other status protected by law.